Thursday, October 9, 2008

Protect Marriage-- Vote Yes on California Proposition 8



Hi there! I try to make these blog entries light, but there is an important issue I need to post here. For the most part I'm preaching to the choir, but I want to make sure that this message gets to everyone that I know.

On November 4, voters in California and Arizona will have the opportunity to vote on whether or not marriage should be defined as between a man and a woman. The proposed amendments takes no rights away from same-sex couples in California--it defines marriage as between one man and one woman. A friend of mine wrote his opinion regarding why he is supporting this issue. He is much more eloquent than I, so I will defer to his message (I have paraphrased a little):

"Our society has drifted toward a moral vacuum. It seems that each person gets to define their own version of right or wrong. I believe there are certain truths that are universal. The building block of society is the family. Therefore, I am taking the actions I believe are appropriate to defend the family.

In Massachusetts, one of the most honored and effective adoption agencies in that state (run by the Catholic Church) was ordered to go against its own teachings and place children with same-sex couples. Because of their refusal to do this, they lost their license. That's just ridiculous. If this amendment fails, churches that oppose same-sex marriage, or who refuse to let their buildings be used for same-sex services may face lengthy litigation challenging their tax-exempt status. Now you may not agree with our doctrine, but you can't deny that the LDS church does an amazing amount of good in its humanitarian efforts. Can you imagine what a drain it would be on church finances if it lost it's tax exempt status, and was unable to use its facilities to perform marriages?"

My friends, please use your sacred privilege to vote wisely. I love this great state, and our wonderful nation as well. It is a privilege to be here, and an honor to be able to have a voice in the government. Go out and vote! If you don't live in CA or AZ, go out and pray!


4 comments:

Angie Larkin said...

Amen brutha. It is a serious thing. I remember when Nic and I were dating, Nevada was going through this. Our singles ward was knocking doors spreading the word. Nic and I came upon a door where one very masculine woman answered...soon followed by one more very masculine woman over her shoulder....eh...I think you can guess the rest... But they were so nice to us. They just said, "I think you are barking up the wrong tree."

Angie Larkin said...

P.S. If the Larkin visit doesn't make it under family news we're not coming. Humph. Feel free to use a special font and musical effects when one scrolls the mouse over our name. And sparkles...sparkles would be good. Perhaps a ticker to count down the days.

Angie Larkin said...

Wow, sorry to dominate your comment area...but I had to tell Kim. I was listening to Elder Holland's conference talk on Angels and I thought of you. He spoke of people who are so good and so kind and make you feel so loved that they are a kind of Angel. It was interesting because Nic and I had just gotten done describing you to his grandparents and his grandpa said, "She sounds like an angel". Nic and I looked at each other knowingly and smiled and said in unison, "Yes, she is."

Tina said...

Thanks for your comments! We wish we were in California just to vote on this issue. The last time we lived in CA, it was up for a vote. It was amazing to see who takes a stand and who does not. Take care and we love you guys! Marc and Tina